The head of the tile producers union in Iran has warned of a recession in various labor sectors, including the ceramic tile industry.
"From the second half of the last [Iranian calendar] year until now, three or four factories have been shut down and around 1000 workers have become unemployed," Mostafa Goudarzi said on Thursday.
"The recession led to the equivalent of one and a half years' production of tiles and ceramic being stockpiled in the distribution warehouses of the ceramic tile producing factories," he added.
His remarks were carried by the state-run ILNA news agency on Thursday.
Last month, the Iranian regime's Deputy Minister of Industry, Mine and Trade acknowledged that some 7000 of Iran’s industrial units are currently inoperative nationwide.
Ali Yazdani, who is also managing director of the state body Iran Small Industries and Industrial Parks Organization (ISIPO), said on April 30 that out of 37,120 industrial units situated in industrial townships and areas in Iran, 7,000 have been completely closed down.
The Iranian regime’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, speaking in Mashhad on March 20, said: “There are reports indicating that 60 percent of domestic production resources have either ceased to operate or are functioning below capacity.”
Tasnim reported that on April 9, Arman Khaleqi, a member of the board of directors of the regime’s House of Industry and Mines, said: “Today, in the most optimistic assessment, around 10,000 production units are not working. If we consider that we have 67,000 production units in the country, then we are currently facing 30 percent stagnation.”
Pointing to the fact that 50 percent of the units situated in the industrial townships are working at 25 percent capacity, Khaleqi said: “This shows a severe stagnation in the production units.”
The Iranian regime’s former Minister of Education announced on April 21 that the country’s economy is on the verge of collapse and that not all problems related to the dire economic situation were the byproduct of international sanctions.
Hamidreza Haji-Babai, who in addition to being a minister was a legislator of the regime for 20 years, made the following assessment of the regime’s economy: “We should note that not all the problems are related to the sanctions. Just 30 percent of our problems are due to sanctions and the remaining 70 percent have to do with [mis]management.”
The regime’s First Vice President said in January that the regime is faced with a variety of economic crises which could lead to “threats” against the regime by Iran’s young restive population.
“The country is entangled in a special economic and political situation that demands serious action,” said Eshaq Jahangiri, who is top deputy to the regime’s President Hassan Rouhani. “We are facing three important challenges with unemployment being prominent among them.”
Jahangiri expressed concern about the situation and said, “Iran has a large young population. If we are unable to solve their problems, this opportunity will morph into a threat.”